Hi everyone! I’m here with another dessert recipe that happens to be a cake. Yayyyi! Tres Leches Cake is a Mexican dessert where ‘Tres’ means ‘Three’ and ‘Leches’ means ‘Milk’ so it’s ultimately a Three-Milk Cake. This cake is a 2-layered delicacy with a rich vanilla sponge soaked with 3 types of milk and topped with a layer of soft whipped cream. You can go about topping it with any kind of fruit (strawberries, mangoes, blueberries, raspberries, peaches, etc) or a dust of cinnamon and cocoa powder. It can also be made for a birthday with sprinkles or edible decorations atop!
I’m making this cake using a Chiffon Vanilla Sponge which I think is suited best for this kinda recipe and is also my favourite sponge. It is spongy and aerated enough to soak all the milk mixture and become beautifully light, dense and soft. There are no technicalities involved in this recipe except for the step which requires whipping egg whites separately and then folding the meringue in the rest of the mixture. This is my ultimate Chiffon Cake sponge that can be used otherwise too. Let’s get baking!
Difficulty Level: Intermediate
Serving: 2 lbs, serves 8-10 people
Prep Time: 10 mins
Bake Time: 30-40 mins
For Chiffon Cake Sponge:
Cake Flour (کیک فلور)
1 cup or 120 grams
Powdered Sugar (پسی ہوئی چینی)
1/4 cup (25 grams) for cake batter
+ 1/4 cup (25 grams) for egg whites
Cream of Tartar (ٹارٹری)
a good pinch (1/4 teaspoon)
Vegetable Oil (تیل)
Baking Powder (بیکنگ پاؤڈر)
a good pinch
Vanilla Essence (ونیلا ایسنس) (optional)
For Milk Mixture:
Fresh Fruits or Fruit Cocktail
For 1/2 cup Cake Flour: Sift 1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour (میدہ) in a bowl. Remove 1 tablespoon from it and sift in 1 tablespoon of Corn Flour (کارن فلور).
For a pinch of Cream of Tartar: Add 1/4 teaspoon of lemon juice or white vinegar.
9x5 inches baking dish
Stand Mixer or Electric Beater
1. Preheat oven at 150°C.
2. Grease just the bottom of a 9x5 heatproof dish with oil.
3. Separate eggs in two large bowls.
4. Into the egg whites, add cream of tartar to stabilise the white and beat on medium high speed until frothy.
5. Turn the speed to high and start adding powdered sugar slowly (1 tbsp at a time).
6. Once the egg white double in size and form a stiff-peaked meringue, turn the mixer off and keep the mixture aside.
7. In the egg yolks add remaining powdered sugar and whisk by hand until slightly pale.
8. Add vanilla, cooking oil, whole milk and a pinch of salt.
9. Combine it altogether and add your cake flour and baking powder.
10. Mix until a thick paste is formed.
11. Now take the meringue and mix it in the egg yolk batter in batches.
12. Use the cut and fold method to mix and stop once all the meringue is incorporated in the yolks.
13. Pour the batter in the greased dish and bake at 180°C for 20 to 30 mins or until the cake is properly cooked (skewer test).
14. Let the cake cool slightly upside down on a wire rack and work on your milk mixture.
15. Strain the premade Evaporated Milk and Whole Milk. Add Condensed Milk and heat the mixture slightly so the milk dissolve into eachother.
16. Poke holes in the warm cake using a fork and pour the milk mixture on top.
17. Cover and rest it on the counter for 20 mins or until cool then transfer to the refrigerator for 6 hours.
18. After 6 hours, layer the moistened cake with soft whipped cream, top with some fresh fruits or anything you like.
19. Serve chilled and enjoy the best cake there is to exist 🎂
20. Do not forget to take a picture and send me on Instagram 😍😏
Tips & Tricks:
For a Tres Leches, choose a baking dish that’s a pretty looking pyrex or any heat proof dish. Since this dessert is presented in the same dish that it’s baked in, you want it to look presentable. To make the perfect Chiffon sponge, make sure your meringue is perfect. For that you need to ensure no egg yolks get in the whites and the bowl in which the meringue is being made is wiped free of any fat or impurities. The folding and cutting technique is crucial to ensure that the meringue is being incorporated in the yolk mixture without losing its air. To make the absorption of the milk mixture better in the cake, make sure the cake and the milk mixture are both, slightly warm. To the cake with soft whipped cream. It would be a mismatch with the texture of the cake if it’s too stiff.
Click on the link below to redirect yourself to the recipe demonstration: